Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cabbage and Greens with Kidney Beans and Caramelized Garlic

I'll admit it - I didn't think this dish would be all that great. I bought the Kale to make it (Kale, by the way, is the food of the week on one of my favorite websites - World's Healthiest Foods) a couple of days ago and soaked and cooked the beans on Monday but just never got around to doing it. I even made polenta on Monday to eat with this. Instead, I blew into the house tonight and in about 20 minutes threw this together. I'm sorry I waited. It's so simple but it's clearly the best of all the foods. So delicious. I can't even tell you. The garlic spreads this goldenness all about the dish. It was mouth watering. I put the greens and cabbage in to stir-fry with doubt but by the time it came out of the garlic scented oil, I knew this dish was a winner. My sweetheart has a show tonight and I sent it with for his dinner so no word on what he thinks of it.
Really. This dish is so good I'm afraid to mess with it - afraid to try to 'fancy' it up. It's just the very simple best of the foods involved. We're going to be eating this for years to come - and it's chock full of super healthy foods!
I bet my parents never thought I would be a vegetarian. I was one of those kids that only put meat and cheese on her tacos and now I actually crave things like cabbage and kale. It's a crazy world - but the ride is fun.

No comments: