Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Rich and Righteous Miso-Tahini Stir-Fry Sauce

Excellent! I almost feel bad for saying so many dishes are so good - but they are. You know I'll tell you if they aren't (see Salt of the Earth Breadspread). I had seen the recipe for this days ago and knew I had everything on hand. My husband likes meals with several dishes and, after I put the shepard's pie in the oven, I figured I'd make this and then he could have a multi-dish meal (Kudos to CD for suggesting always having a pot of rice on hand. I made this dish in about 45 seconds). I used peanut butter in lieu of tahini (again, see Salt of the Earth Breadspread) and I put in crushed garlic (who is surprised?) and seasame oil. I meant to put in an orange but that would have pushed this dish's prep time up to 2 minutes or some ridiculous time like that. Maybe next time.
Anyhow, it was delicious and fast! A touch too rich to eat everyday but what a great meal it would make if you didn't know what to make and you wanted to eat NOW.
Update on the polenta: I lined a casserole dish with the hot polenta to set up. I used it to make up a shepard's pie. I worked out great because I just threw in the last of whatever we had on hand. I hate when vegetables go bad because I don't use them in time and I was able to use the last of the green peppers, carrots, spinach, and celery. Not to mention use up the cream of mushroom soup my mom bought me to make tuna casserole because - "You can eat tuna!" I love you, mom. For some reason, I imagined the polenta would be more firm - more cornbread like. I guess that's because that is what it smells like when it cooks. It was mushier, but not in an unpleasant way - much like the mashed potatoes they were replacing. All in all, it was a good meal if I do say so myself. And I do.

No comments: