Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Stir-Fry of Tempeh and Green Beans with an Apricot-Mustard Glaze and Traditional Asian-Style "Crisping" Marinade and Method for Oven-Baked Tofu

Sweetness. That is the overriding theme of this dish. Still-crisp green beans in with sweet, delicious red peppers smothered in a glaze that is sweet but not too sweet (Dessert, however is out of the question). I did all the variations that were supposed to make the dish more Thai - influenced and a little hotter. Really, the sauce remained pretty sweet and the only heat I could discern was from the super thin Serrano slices I threw on top. Still, this was good. I'm not so sure that I'll crave it like I do the Kung Pao (I ate it six times in eleven days). Another change I made to this dish was to use Traditional Asian-Style "Crisping" Marinade and Method for Oven-Baked Tofu" instead of the tempeh CD suggests. Normally I would have tried the tempeh (I like it and it makes for another recipe) but the holidays have the store schedules all messed up and the only store open on January 1st was Jewel who doesn't carry tempeh. None the less, the dish was no worse off for it, I'm sure. I do make some changes in this tofu recipe. I cube the tofu prior to baking as I think that having an all around, crisp coating is tastier than cutting through the coating after baking to reveal softer tofu. Additionally, I cut the amount of tofu CD calls for in half but keep the marinade the same. I feel I've told you this already.......
Well, here's something I didn't tell you - Some people can never grasp what it is to be a vegetarian. If you doubt me, just go to a holiday dinner with your non-vegetarian family. I recommend eating before you go.
Happy New Year to you!

No comments: