Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Back in the Saddle with Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup

Hi. I remember you! It's been a LONG time since we talked. That's my fault. Really. My life was completely derailed last year and I feel like I'm sort of back on track. I thought I might get back to the business of testing every vegetarian recipe out there. So, here I am. I hope you can forgive my absence.
I also hope you'll forgive me if I change the scope of my blog - just a bit.
Instead of cooking my way through Passionate Vegetarian, I thought I would just keep testing new vegan recipes and posting my results.
Starting with my most recent: Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup from the kick ass tome that is Veganomicon.
I should tell you upfront that I've decided to lose weight. So why I chose to make a soup the author took time to emphasize that it is NOT low fat, I've no idea. Except that it sounded good. Also, I'm not a big fan of eggplant. I've just never had it prepared to where I thought it tasted good.
But, this sounded good so I gave it the old college try.

It's good. No question about it. I'm just not sure if it's worth all the calories. But it was easy to make and didn't require anything TOO weird. I sense it would taste really good over jasmine rice - as if it were a curry dish. It has nice layers to the spice and it is very rich. Again, it's good but I would look to find ways to cut calorie corners (WAY less oil and a bit less peanut butter).

Overall, it's good. I would love to make this to serve at dinner for guests or to store in little containers and freeze for a 'once in a while' treat.

STATS:
Vegan
Total Calories: 1690
Makes: About 8 Cups
Cooking time: More than an hour
Find it: On page 147 of Veganomicon
Taste: Pretty good. I'll make it again.

No comments: