Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jelly Donut Cupcakes

How could you NOT make these? They sound so good! And they were quite easy to make.
I don't have a lot of experience with vegan baking so I can't appreciate the genius behind the substitutions and tricks that she came up with. All I know is that I can't tell the difference between her cupcakes and non-vegan ones. They're so good!

As usual, I went overboard. I couldn't decide which type of jelly to use so I bought three: Strawberry jelly and red and black rasberry preserves. The jelly ones were NOT good. PLEASE use jam or preserves. Even though my sweetheart likes strawberry jelly the best, even he said the jelly ones weren't nearly as good as the others.

The recipe calls for a heaping teaspoon of jam on top of each cupcake. Please don't skimp and please don't spread it out. The weight of the jam needs to be centered so as to sink it down into the cupcake and for the cupcake to cover the jam and 'seal' it inside. If you don't use enough jam or it's spread around too much, you end up with a yawning, jam cave in your cupcake. Which isn't the end of the world but, as my policy is that the chef has to eat the rejects, my bluejeans can't take too many 'jam cave' cupcakes.

Additionally, the recipe calls for powdered sugar to be sprinkled over the top but all the jelly donuts I've ever had have used regular sugar. So did I.

Lastly, the directions say to leave these out to the air to harden a bit. Please do so. Don't think you're smarter than her and put them in a tupperware container. Just leave them out.

STATS:
Vegan
Total Calories: I'll get back to you
Makes: About 12
Cooking Time: About 30 minutes
Find it: On page 253 of Veganomicon
Taste: I made it twice the first week I owned the book. They're GREAT!

No comments: