Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tempeh Bacon

I used to love bacon as a kid. I liked it cold and burnt. I can't remember the last time I had from-the-pig-bacon. And, to be honest, I don't really miss it. But I did jump at the chance to try this Tempeh Bacon recipe.
I made a whole batch but only made a few strips, putting the rest in the fridge to use for a good breakfast for the next several days.
It was really easy to make even if I had to wait at least an hour before I could eat it (for marinating purposes). I knew it was a good recipe when, after turning the strips in the marinade, my hands smelled TERRIFIC.
Don't think this is a replacement for bacon - you'll never fool a meat eater with this. But it IS quite good and certainly earns a place on your brunch plate.
Isa recommends taking the garlic bits out (I minced mine) but I left them in. This is the first time I've ever used liquid smoke and it's an invaluable ingredient. It really adds that BBQ-ed/smoked layer to the bacon.
I also sliced my tempeh a bit thin (remember, I liked bacon burnt) so I got more servings than Isa suggests. But it seems to have turned out just fine.

STATS
Vegan
Makes: About 12-15 strips depending on how thin you slice it
Cooking Time: About 10 minutes (plus a minimum of an hour to marinade)
Find It: On page 23 of Vegan with a Vengeance
Taste: Excellent

No comments: