Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sunny Blueberry-Corn Muffins, Carrot-Raisin Muffins, The Best Pumpkin Muffins

MUFFINS!

I got invited to a brunch and, thanks to my mom, it's impossible for me to show up to an invited meal empty-handed. So, I made some muffins.
First up, Sunny Blueberry-Corn Muffins.
Good. Not great. But good. I think next time, I will coat the blueberries in sugar instead of flour as they needed a little boost. Also, I would like to try it with smaller blueberries next time. But they were still good. In fact, they were my sweetheart's favorites - much to my surprise. I also substituted about half the required oil with applesauce to reduce the calorie content. I don't think it made a noticeable difference and they were very moist.

STATS
Vegan
Total Calories: I'll get back to you on that
Makes: About 13 muffins
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Find it: On page 50 of Vegan with a Vengeance
Taste: Good. I give it a B

Next up, Carrot-Raisin Muffins. Excellent. I actually substituted dates for raisins and I think they came out just fine. I thought there might be too much carrot in here but it's just right. These are delicious. The spices are just right, too. Enough to notice but not enough to overpower anything.

STATS
Vegan
Total Calories: I'll get back to you on that
Makes: About 13 muffins
Cooking Time: About 30 minutes
Find it: On page 47 of Vegan with a Vengeance
Taste: Excellent! Make them for breakfast!

Last up - The Best Pumpkin Muffins. I made these because I'd heard they're good and also because my sweetheart loves pumpkin donuts. I thought he might really like them and he did, but he liked the blueberry ones better. I thought these were out of this world. Again, I used applesauce (and didn't do my homework so I used a 1:1 ratio instead of a 2:3) and they were a little more dense than I suspect they were supposed to be. But no harm done and that's easily fixed next time. These, too had excellent spices to accompany the pumpkin. SORT OF like a pumpkin pie...but not. They were really good.

STATS
Vegan
Total Calories: I'll get back to you on that
Makes: About 13 muffins
Cooking Time: About 30 minutes
Find It: On page 52 of Vegan with a Vengeance
Taste: EXCELLENT!

I actually only baked about 3 of each muffin and, as per Isa's advice, froze the rest in separate muffin wrappers. So now, when I want a muffin, I don't have to bake (and then eat) a whole batch, I can just pop one in the toaster oven (in a tiny bowl) and have a fresh baked muffin in about 20 minutes. I tried it this morning and it worked great!

No comments: