Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Isa Pizza - including Pizza Dough, Pizza Sauce, Basil-Tofu Ricotta and Classic Pesto

My goodness, is this good! I think it might be better than PV's Greek Style Pizza...but I don't know. I guess I'll have to make it a bunch more to decide!

This is one of those annoying recipes that is five recipes in one (see title). But I was able to put everything else together while the dough was rising and, as usual, once you've done it a couple of times, it's not so hard.

The dough was easy to make but this is coming from someone that has made dough before. Still, Isa's directions are great and can walk even the most naive of virgins successfully through it.

The Ricotta was easy to make. It's okay. I'm sure I'll use it for something in the future but it wasn't "eat me out of the bowl before the dough is ready" good. Like the pesto.

I've never had or made pesto before. But this was SO GOOD I was eating it out of the food processor before the dough was even close to ready.

The sauce was easy as (pizza) pie and is a great, basic sauce.

I didn't use mushrooms or olives but I did throw on some onions. I'm not sure the pizza needed it. It was interesting enough without them. I really can't say enough great things about this pizza. My only word of warning is that the pesto came out a bit salty and I may omit the 1.5 teaspoons called for in the recipe. Additionally, I'll be spreading the pesto on a bit more thin next time.

But no complaints. This pizza is DELICIOUS! And it's vegan.

STATS:
Vegan
Total Calories: I'll get back to you on that
Makes: Two 14" pizzas
Cooking Time: 1.5 hours (mostly waiting for the dough to rise)
Find It: On page 131 of Vegan with a Vengeance
Taste: Quit reading this and make it now!

No comments: