Saturday, August 15, 2009

Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream

You gotta be kiddin' me! Do I ever feel sheepish.

I've been a subscriber to Vegetarian Times forever. Three years? I've made I think three recipes during that time. All from their issue on slow cooking (January, 2008).

I've loved their articles and reviews on gadgets but I've never really gotten into their recipes. WHY?! Did I think I was so smart with my zillion cookbooks? Whatever my problem was, I'm over it. I went through about a dozen back issues and flagged a ton of recipes to try. Hope you're ready for some Vegetarian Times reviews.

This is "Pamper Weekend". That means my Sweetheart is out of town. I scheduled a massage for this morning (divine!) and lots of cooking.
I'll start with one that is finishing up at I write this: Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream.

Holy cow is it good!

I've been on an ice cream kick this week.
If you like fruit ice cream, this one is probably the best. It's also the very first time I've used agave nectar. It is, indeed the sweetener of the Heavens. It's so light and sweet without taking over. You really need to give it a whirl if you've never had it. It is expensive though so I would only recommend using it when you're going to taste the difference.

One thing will you notice the difference on: Jam vs. Jelly. Please use jam or preserves and not jelly. Please, trust me. Jam or preserves.

I confess I only had 8 0z of frozen strawberries so I cheated and threw in some red raspberries. I don't know if it made a big difference, but this ice cream is SO GOOD! Another substitution I made was almond milk with a dash of corn starch to replace the soy creamer. Worked just fine.

You'll fool any dairy lover with this ice cream and I doubt they'll care. In fact, I think I'm going to make this again and switch out the strawberries for, say black raspberries? Blueberries? I predict another winner.

Just like all the other recipes I've tried recently from Vegetarian Times. To be posted soon...

STATS:
Vegan
Calories: 169 per serving. Good luck eating just one.
Makes: The recipe says it serves six. I say it just serves me!
Find it: Here
Tastes: Like you should go make it NOW!

No comments: