Thursday, September 07, 2006

Ned's Firey Oven Bakes

I thought I would start with something pretty easy. I've actually made these before but, in the spirit of things, I'm making everything at least once starting now. These are delicious and I like them spicy (so three tablespoons of tobasco sauce for me!). One tip I can offer from experience: Do NOT put the garlic (alone or with the sauces) in a food processor and mince it. It turns into a garlic slurry that does not help out the fries. Crescent Dragonwagon knows her stuff and if she says coarsely chop, just coarsely chop it.
Speaking of Crescent Dragonwagon (CD), now is probably a good time to go more into depth about why I'm doing this and why her book. I became a vegetarian in the summer of 2004 when I started graduate school. I had begun looking into the effects of eating meat on the environment and was leaning toward vegetarianism when I began to really look at the effects on one's health of a meat based diet. I've been a vegetarian ever since but feel that it is a decision that everyone has to make for themselves. So you'll not hear me trying to persuade someone else to eat the way I do nor hear me lament over the poor creature that died to feed you. I do truly believe that animals are here on earth to feed and clothe us but I really think that we have messed that up so much that it's just no longer healthy to consume animals. That said, I found Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon and have loved it! It's a great book just to sit down and read. I have several vegetarian cookbooks that I use but this is my favorite. It contains 1000+ recipes and I intend to cook them all.

Find this recipe: On page 792 of Passionate Vegetarian

No comments: