Monday, September 11, 2006

Olivada and Roasted Garlic Puree

Have you ever had caviar? I've not but I feel so fancy eating Olivada. It looks like caviar and it has a garlicky, salty taste to it. I imagine it tastes passable and that if I put it out at a party, someone might simply ask what kind of caviar it is. It was so easy to make that it shouldn't be allowed; One cup of black olives, 2T olive oil, 1T capers and 1 clove of garlic. (It should be noted here and now that I LOVE garlic. It's practically another food group to me so I generally put in more garlic than is called for. I think I put in 2-3 cloves of garlic.) Just pulse until the olives are minced and you're done. I find it's best at room temp but you can decide that for yourself. CD suggests using it on a sandwich. I imagine it would be best on pumperknickle with mozzarella and tomatoes. Make this one - you'll be happy.
I've never roasted garlic heads before. But I did yesterday because my husband wanted spaghetti for supper and I thought I could kill two birds with one stone (knock off another recipe and give him garlic bread). Roasting the garlic was too easy and popping them out of their little paper sleeves was fun! I mashed them with a fork into a fancy little bowl and served it with toasted French bread. The garlic was subtle. It would build up as you ate more of it and then -POW- it was garlicky! It was good, though. Maybe not in lieu of regular garlic bread every time but it was a nice change. It doesn't look like anything that will keep well though so we tossed the last little bit of it. Making it was so much fun (and smelled so great) that I'll be looking for other ways to incorporate roasted garlic.

No comments: